Monster Wasps!

In a recent post of Paisley Jade's she commented about her husband's (that's me) over-exuberance when using flyspray on wasps. Yes, I admit I have a slight dislike (understatement of the year) for wasps... Do you blame me? Being chased and stung by angry paper-wasps as a kid, and then having a stinging wasp trapped in my wetsuit!

I came across this photo yesterday, and although it looks like something out of a bad 70's horror flick, it is very real... and very nasty.

The Japanese Giant Hornet lurks in the mountains of Japan. It has a quarter-inch stinger that pumps out a dose of venom with an enzyme so strong it can dissolve human tissue. Just one of these hornets can kill 40 European honeybees a minute! Those who get stung by this monster describe the pain as excruciating, and if proper medical treatment is not administered rapidly, death can follow. About 40 people die each year after being stung by them!

So I ask you... regardless of your gender, would you empty a can of Black-flag on one of these if it flew in your bedroom window? I think so.

3 comments:

kristy said...

You have the most random posts... and yes, I see your point... but we don't live in Japan.. so you don't have to worry about these ones honey!

Lesmond J said...

i'm with ya Syms. I took on a wasps nest with fly spray until i found the powdered stuff to lay outside their lair of DOOM.

Nice comment Kristy on the hoody comp re: the giant Japanese Hornets

Jimmy & Freda said...

What I wanna know is what happened to the very small camerman and his even smaller camera!