I'm scared of spiders

When I was really young, I wasn't scared of spiders... in fact, I used to play with them.

We then moved to Auckland and it was there that I witnessed an event which would change my view of spiders indefinitely... from being fluffy friends to being fanged freaks. One day an Avondale Spider (minding its own business) meandered up our lounge wall. Bad mistake. I watched horrified, as my dad transformed incy-wincy spider into gwakamole goop with no less than ten direct hits of a broomstick (if it's worth doing once...). I had never seen him so terrified before or since.

They say that fear is learned, and it was at moment that I became scared of spiders.

In the years following I have had numerous nightmares about being attacked by spiders. My poor wife... I think I've scared her more than my dreams scared me! A few years ago I woke up thinking that a Labrador-sized spider was trying to eat me. It took quite a while for DW to convince me otherwise. Goodtimes.

So, starting small, I have determined to overcome my fear of spiders. I actually think they are fascinating. Spiders can bite, sure, but my cat (Barney) can bite. His fangs are much bigger than a spiders. Am I scared of him? No... I snuggle him (as you can see I'm really trying hard to convince myself)!

Photo evidence follows...

As you can see, I was a very brave boy the other day and let a Grey House Spider crawl all over my hand for ten minutes. It looked much bigger in real life (seriously) and was a very cheap way to get an adrenaline rush (who needs to spend $100 on a bungy jump?)!
My 4 year old daughter was rather amused, and thought she'd give it a try. Notice her expression... I feel like such a coward.

My goal is to handle a Whitetail and not break out in a cold sweat. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

Jon Dylan said...

How did you cope in the Shelob scenes in return of the king?

kristy said...

CGI fangs don't hurt much!

Jon Dylan said...

That doesn't stop them creeping you out!

Rachel Kate said...

i have 2 words... amanda barry :)

Symon said...

Amanda Barry scared of spiders?