I was a Caffeine Addict

Okay, confession time.

Ten days ago I was addicted to caffeine. I was having about 5-6 plunger coffees daily and also energy drinks before church services. As you will know if you've been reading my posts, I got the flu big time recently and for a day couldn't even keep liquids down. That was the unintentional beggining of my 'going cold-turky with caffeine' experience. Not fun. Yesterday was the first day that I haven't had an extremely aching head (and other random symptoms), so it looks like I've come through it!

A bit of scary caffeine trivia...

Caffeine works by stimulating the central nervous system. It increases the stress hormones in your blood stream, causing you to temporarily feel more alert. While there’s no real harm in having a cup of coffee, many people become trapped in a vicious cycle of caffeine addiction (that was me). They become dependant on caffeine to stay alert during the day and find it hard to relax at night because of their excessive caffeine consumption. Then, they must consume even more caffeine the following day to compensate for their lack of rest.

Caffeine reaches your bloodstream within about 30-45 minutes. It increases your body’s dopamine levels in the same way that heroine, cocaine, and amphetamines do. Caffeine also binds to adenosine receptors and leads to increased neuron firing in the brain.

While caffeine does result in increased alertness, it has been linked to high blood pressure, insomnia, tremors, rapid breathing, headaches, dizziness, and a loss of fine motor control. Because of the potential risk to the fetus, pregnant women are advised to limit their caffeine intake.

I read a convicting article on healthrecepies.com regarding caffeine. Below is an excerpt (I warn you, it's not a pretty picture)...

Caffeine is the Christian drug of choice. Its nutty aroma fills every church. Cigarettes and alcohol are not permitted but a two-hundred-gallon pot of this black, adrenal-stimulant will attract hundreds of Christians with their drug paraphernalia, usually Styrofoam cups.

Ouch.

So, I decided go be caffeine free for 40 days (no coffee, no energy drinks, no coke). There will be herbal teas available at 'Essence' prayer meeting from now on!


12 comments:

kristy said...

Proud of you... and glad for the extra plunger coffee in the tin.

Neen said...

If you can last 40 days without caffeine then I will buy you a coffee!!! This is a sight to behold....

Neen said...

Which makes me think....maybe your ADHD qualities are actually linked to your addiction? Mmmmm....yes I think Nana Nina is right!

Jon Dylan said...

Water! Oh and tea.

Symon said...

Neen, Can buy me a Bunderberg instead? ;-)

Fifi said...

You don't need to get high on coffee..because you're high on Jesus arn't you popa Symon??! ;)

Rachel Kate said...

great post symz! took me about 10 days to get over mine after working at harveys for so long... but so worth it at the end. proud of ya :)

kristy said...

Neen... I'll have Mandrakes coffee!

darls said...

That's inspirational Sy....so does that mean I can blame my bad driving on the coffee?
Yay!!

Symon said...

lol darls!

darls said...

K, I have to commend you for doing a complete coffee fast. Wow!! Every time I think about coffee, your blog comes sneaking into my head, I'm sure it's God waking me up. It's now day two and I've stuck to drinking only two coffees. This is seriously tough going, but it'll be worth it!

Stephen (aka Steven) said...

you need to get my Dad to give it up. I'm sure he spends the money i pay for board all on coffee....then a lil bit extra!!