Burton... Symon Burton

For the first month of my life I was nameless. My brother (9 years old at the time) came home from school one day and suggested that I be called Simon. I was Simon from that day on.

Simon

When I was 9 years old I decided to change the 'i' to a 'y' (because Simon was too common and looked boring). I never have changed it legally, but my name is spelt Symon on every legal document I have except my passport (the 'i' on my original birth certificate was modified using a blue ball-point pen by my mum ;-).

The Hebrew meaning (variant of Simeon) is 'obedient, listening, to be heard'. The Greek meaning is 'snub-nosed'.

Burton

Burton is my dad's name. He was named after the doctor who delivered him... Dr. Burton. I never liked the name as a kid, but it has grown on me. It sounds really retro. I like retro.

The meaning of Burton is 'Fortified settlement'.

Drake

Originally Drake designated a man who kept the inn with the 'Sign of the dragon' (sounds mysterious, like a secret order or something).

The meaning of Drake is 'Dragon, or serpent'

Symon Burton Drake

So... Symon Drake, can literally mean 'snub-nosed dragon'. Yay for Spyro. In recent years I have been nicknamed 'The Mandrake', but I don't think people realise what the meaning of that is. I will save that for another post maybe.

Okay, back to my real name... Symon Burton Drake. Has a certain ring to it don't you think? I like my name (I've always thought it would look good on movie posters). Some people call me 'Sy', but between me and you, I dislike being called Sy! You can me 'Syms' (prouounced Symz) and that's fine by me.

Spyro signing off...

4 comments:

Fifi said...

Hmmm...I think I'll stick with Popa S. Or would you like Popa Snub? Yo represent.

Neen said...

So no more calling you Sy then. How about Sybur - Symon and Burton combined? Did you know that my folks were going to name me Symon if I was a boy?

Symon said...

No way! I never knew that. Symon with a y or Simon with an i?

Jon Dylan said...

I can't call you Sy Rogers anymore? Rats! Oh wait, never did. doh.

Spyro's awesome though, so maybe need to get that nickname going.