I killed an endangered animal

I ran a youth leadership retreat eariler this year (the same one where Fifi had her mouse episode). It was held at an isolated location in the middle of native NZ bush, here in Northland.

Late one night a few of us (led by the legendary bushman Mr JG) ventured out to see the wildlife - namely freshwater crayfish, possums, and if we were very fortunate, a Kauri Snail. (I'm glad we didn't spot any possums though, as Mr JG has a habit of dispatching them with only his bare hands and a treetrunk.)

During our moonlit adventures, we were lucky enough to spot some Kauri Snails. Our intrepid guide made sure we were careful where we walked, as Kauri Snails are an endangered species and protected by New Zealand law. I had never seen one before and was fascinated by them. Here are some facts I bet you never knew...
  • Kauri Snails may live to 20 years or more.

  • The Kauri Snail is carnivorous and cannibalistic.

  • Mating is triggered by extreme weather conditions, and can last for 10 hours or more.
Now, here is my confession. We were walking back to the lodge, and I was lagging behind the group. Suddenly, I heard the sickening sound of a 20 year old Kauri Snail's shell crushing under my foot. I stopped and looked down... Giant snail pulp. I felt sick. No one else heard. I kept quiet.

I have been carrying the guilt of my actions ever since. Today, I come clean. To every animal lover, Green party supporter, and DOC worker reading this... please forgive me.

10 comments:

kristy said...

Glad you got it out in the open - good on you!

tim g said...

Feeling the guilt over coming you so you had to get it off your chest ae symon?

DOC worker said...

I forgive you.

Little Dee said...

We're proud of you Sy. It must have been pretty hard to live with these past 4 months

Rachel Kate said...

hahahaha i mean, how terrible... reminds me of the time our cat brought home a morepork :)

Endless Paisley said...

Did you know that 80% of the world's population eat insects as part of their daily diet? I wonder if they also eat endangered kauri snails?

Fifi said...

Wow Popa S, I'm pretty sure I saw it in the book of Jasher "thou shalt not kill Kauri snails"
Just as well they can't run real fast...could have been the makings of a great horror movie!

Jon Dylan said...

"DOC worker said...

I forgive you."


hahahah, ok who is the cheeky monkey impersonating a doc worker?

Jase said...

I'm with you jon, whoever the doc worker is deserves a medal for that comment!

Good effort Sym, pity you're not french...

Rachel Kate said...

Flame's next pod war event: see how many escargo you can down in a minute...