I was hit by a grey van

It was a sunny Saturday morning in 1990.

I was riding my bike home from the video shop when a little boy ran in front of my bike. I swerved and luckily only clipped him with my leg, unluckily though, I was on the footpath at the time. I stopped to check if the boy was alright. Fortunately he was fine, but his dad wasn't. His dad was extremely angry. I lost my nerve and pedalled away as fast as my skinny legs would go. I thought that was the end of the drama. Not so. The drama was just beginning.

Ten minutes later and I was now far away from where the incident took place, slowly riding home, minding my own business. Suddenly, a grey van approached me... going fast... and not stopping. No kidding. The bullbars hit my bike, and I hit the ground. In a bewildered state I attempted to get back on my bike, but the driver (who turned out to be the father of the kid) jumped out of the van, grabbed hold of me and punched me in the head. That was the first and only time I have ever been knocked out by another person.

He dragged me to the nearest house and demanded that the occupant give him a pen so I could write my address details down, problem was that I could hardly walk let alone write (and why did he want to know where I lived?). Some concerned citizen must have then dialled 111, because it wasn't long before sirens were heard, two police cars pulled up... and the man denied everything. In the end (as there were no witnesses) it was my slurred word against his, and I was too scared to press charges.

I think I pushed my bike the rest of the way home. The ever-so-considerate policeman didn't even offer me a ride home. I leaned my bike up against the garage wall, went to mum... and bawled.

It was a sunny Saturday morning in 1990.

6 comments:

Neen said...

NO WAY!! God was sooo looking after you that day. Can't believe that guy tracked you down, what a phsyco!

jacksta said...

Are you for real? Thats a sad story but I want to laugh... you two love birds crack me up

Symon said...

As real as can be.

Rachel Kate said...

i think im a bit like jacksta and just want to laugh... sorry symz :) you should film your next flame notices based on that incredibly crazy true story!

Little Dee said...

That's one freaky story!

Fifi said...

When men have PMS....