Incy wincy White Tail...

Back in July I confessed that I had a fear of spiders, but was determined to overcome it by forcing myself to handle them. Read the post here.

Last night I was relaxing on the sofa (much like the gentleman in the photo above), when I noticed a rather large White Tail walking on the curtain close to my head (adrenaline spike now). I grabbed a glass and captured it. There are times in life when we have the choice to be couragous or cowardise. This was one of those times. I told Paisley Jade to grab the camera (photographic proof), and let the thing loose on my arm.

There is much debate as to how dangerous White Tail bites really are. This chart shows the White Tail is extreme on both agression and venom scales.

After a few minutes I dropped the spider on the ground and as I placed the glass over it, it lunged (super quick) at my finger and attempted to bite it. Lucky the glass was between me and it. Nasty creatures.

12 comments:

kristy said...

I was there guys... and it was scary!

arna said...

please don't ever do this again!!!!!
I have a friend who lost a finger to one.
They are hideous things!

Fifi said...

You should have a little trip to South Africa and experience some of that REAL spider action! It will make that white tail seem like a little toy that it is! ;) You have conquered your fear of spiders, and for that, you deserve one of these, *YAY!* I should try that with a mouse. *shudder*

lesmondj said...

what happened to the spider next?

Symon said...

Was tempted to own it, but my animial-loving nature got the better of me... I let it go outside. I hope it remembers the kind deed.

Symon said...

fifi, I'm getting the boys pet mice for Christmas. You'll have to come over and play with them ;-)

Jase said...

when you squash white tails they've got this awesome white-guey substance that comes out...

Jon Dylan said...

Flip oh dear, I don't know if I would have been gutsy enough to do that. Good effort!

tweed jacket said...

You legend Symon. I hear there are massive bird eating spiders in papa new guinea try them next.

Fifi said...

I'm with tweed jacket on this one...that would be a great adventure! ;)Eeeeew! Mice smell popa Symon, I'm pretty sure they have rabies..

Symon said...

Fifi, let me correct you if I may. Only male mice smell.

Fifi said...

LOL! I rest my case.