Top children's books of all time

Just to surprise you all, tonight's post is my pick on the top seven children's books of all time. Having once been a kid myself, and now having four (which we take to the library weekly), I think my opinion is qualified ;-)

So for those of you with nieces/nephews between the ages of 2 to 6, or who are thinking of having a child some time... consider this post 'pure gold'.

8. A Very Hungry Caterpillar
(Written and illustated by Eric Carle. First published in 1969.)

An extremely simple but clever book that has become one of the best selling books of all time (over 25,000,000).

7. Ten Dirty Pigs/Ten Clean Pigs
(Written by Carol Roth and illustrated by Pam Paparone. First published in 1999.)

Half of the book is about ten dirty pigs and how they get clean, and the other half is about ten clean pigs and how they get dirty. Clever and very amusing.

6. The Monster At The End Of This Book
(Written by John Stone and illustrated by Michael Smollin. First published in 1971.)


This book has sentimental vaule as it was the first book I ever remember reading all by myself. It also has a classic ending, and lovable furry old Grover.

5. There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly
(Illustrated by Pam Adams. Published in 2000.)

To this day I still wonder how the old lady could get the animals in her gut and in one piece in the first place!

4. The Bear Scouts
(Written and illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstein. First published in 1967.)



Almost all of the Bearenstein Bear books are awesome (I still laugh at them, which either means they have great inter-generational value, or I'm very immature ;-)

3. Fox in Socks
(Written and illustrated by Theodor Seuss Geisel. First Published in 1965.)

I never yet have read this book right through, out loud, and at normal speed without getting words mixed up. All of Dr. Seuss's books are legendary, but this is his masterpiece IMO.

2. A Fish Out Of Water
(Written by Helen Palmer and illustrated by P. D. Eastman. First published in 1961.)

Another classic from my childhood. It has an ending that has fustrated me my whole life!

1. Chimp And Zee
(Written by Laurence Anholt and illustrated by Katherine Anholt. First published in 2001.)

The very best children's book has got to be Chimp and Zee. I could not recommend this book more highly. I've read it out load so many times (between 50 and 100) and I still get a kick out of it!

10 comments:

kristy said...

Miss 4 wanted me to say that Chimp & Zee is her favourite. "Thanks Daddy, I like you reading this to me... and I love you Daddy... and that's all" - from Miss 4

Lillian Gish said...

what a great post! I loved that caterpillar book as a kid! and all those bear books too :) brings back happy memories haha

Neen said...

The caterpilla book totally rocks! Do you know that you can now get the stuffed toy? True. I saw it today at Whitcoulls.

Jon Dylan said...

The hungry caterpillar was "pure gold". Literally. I liked it so much I got it gold plated, then sold it on Trademe as a collectors item at a whopping loss.

jk.

Twas a good book though!

Hannah Montana said...

The monster at the end of this post... Good one sym.
Dylan you sicko!

Lillian Gish said...

jon im sorry, but did you gene swap with someone at birth? how come you got all the hilarious genes and left me with nothing but stonewashed levis?

Hannah Montana said...

jon I'm sorry, but did you do a straight swap with someone on trademe? How come you got all the hillsong albums and left me with nothing but dashed hopes and a few breath mints?

I do agree with lilian...you have taken the prize for 'hits' on comments this week! There's a free bunk bed coming your way at flame this friday

Joan of Arc said...

im sorry what? what kind of movie star gives away a perfectly half decent bunk bed? must be love

Symon said...

I feel privileged that you see my post worthy of continued discussion ;-)

Little Dee said...

Go the bears scouts! They were great