The 'Star Wars Musical' mystery


Last night I solved a 30-year-old mystery that had haunted me all my life... subjected me to humiliation, and caused me to think I was either crazy, or that the whole world had been deceived.

I was an absolute Star Wars fanatic from the summer of 77 (when I saw 'A New Hope' at 3 years of age) until my teen years.

I always had this bizarre memory that I saw a Star Wars sequel of sorts on TV when I was 4 years old. All my life, I could recall surreal images of Chewbacca's family being attacked by Stormtroopers, Princess Leah singing the Star Wars theme and a guy pouring milk into a hole in his head... none of which ever happened in any of the Star Wars movies.

Did anyone believe me? No, Did people think I was making it all up? Yes. Did I think I was crazy? Well...

Not anymore! Last night, thanks to the marvel of cyberspace, I solved the mystery. Take a deep breath and read on. (From wikipedia...)

The Star Wars Holiday Special was a two-hour television special set in the Star Wars galaxy. It was the first official Star Wars spinoff produced. It was broadcasted in its entirety in the United States only once on Friday, November 17, 1978.

The film is notorious for its negative reception. At a fan convention, George lucas said, "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it."
David Hofstede, author of 'What Were They Thinking?: The 100 Dumbest Events in Television History', ranked the holiday special at number one, calling it "the worst two hours of television ever."


2 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

All I can say is "oh dear".

Katie said...

i agree with kristy!