Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

PaisleyJade just finished reading a story about wolves, entitled 'A Wolf Story' (witty title), by James Byron Huggins (her review is over at flannelgraph). I'm a huge Huggins fan, but reading about cuddly talking animals doesn't sound all that macho... that is, it didn't until this morning. I was researching broad-tipped arrow heads (Deadfall got me curious) when I stumbled upon this photo on a US hunting site...

Way down under here in New Zealand, wolves would be on the very bottom of my imaginary 'animals that scare me' list. I mean, come on... they are just big dogs aren't they? Now, I'm not so sure. The 'big dog' in the photo looks like he came off second best.

I'm interesting in reading that book now Paisley...

(Read the article accompanying the photo here.)

8 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

A Wolf Story is a great book... and that is a terrible photo!

lesmondj said...

That's a funny photo..I wonder what a suitable caption would be...

lesmondj said...

This ere's my dawg Red, he dont look like much but e's cheap to feed and don't bark a whole lot.

Symon Burton said...

Lesmond, you never fail to crack me up :-P

PaisleyJade said...

Les, you are a shocker! Poor guy.

Jonathan said...

Call me cynical, but if that picture is legit, and a pack of starving wolves stripped the the dogs carcass bare, why did they not attempt to eat the head... was it that they wanted to leave the carcass identifiable as a dog just for bragging rights?

Symon Burton said...

Hi Jonathan. I wondered the same thing... The story sounds ligit though. Still a crazy photo.

Rhys said...

Im with jonathan seems a bit unreal and sick at the same time, glad we havent got them in this country though, think how paranoid you'd be letting your kids out in the yard