Fred and Barney's Nicotine addiction

Anyone in their 30's and older will remember well the Flintstones. The cartoon was one of my all-time favourites and I reminisce (with nostalgic happiness) the 80's when the show screened every school day around 4pm. Any cultured kidult will know that the Flintstones equal retro cartoonsville at its very best. I even named my cat 'Barney' in honour of the show.

What I bet you didn't know is that good old Fred and Barney were also heavy cigarette smokers, frequently lighting up and at the same time encouraging their impressionable viewers to do the same.

Shame on them. Actually, same on the shows producers. Let me explain...

The Flintstones series was initially aimed at adult audiences, and the first series was sponsored by Winstone Cigarettes. Hanna Barbara allowed Fred and Barney to appear in several black and white television commercials for the cigarette company.

And we think that today's cartoons are a bad influence!?

3 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

haha... who would have known!

Neen said...

Sick - that's what it is!

Rachel Kate said...

crazy!