My close encounter with a UFO... cult

It was a fateful night in 1997 when the Aetherius Society came to town to promote their religion. For those who don't know what the Aetherius Society is (I'm guessing about 99.9% of the people reading this post), it is a UFO cult.

I was a zealous (and somewhat tactless) Bible College student at the time, and had just finished writing a study on Aliens from a Christian Worldview. So armed with my Bible... (yes, I took my NIV Study Bible to a UFO cult meeting - told you I was tactless ;-), a wad of my UFO studies, and my 6'4" friend (you can never be too careful), I made my way into the venue, past the freaky door greeter (who had a crystal the size of a tennis ball around his neck) and sat down with about ten other people.

For the next hour, two Atherius reps spoke about what they believe in. This is it in a nutshell...

George King was born in England in 1919. He dedicated his life to the practice of Eastern Mysticism. One day he he heard a loud voice saying...

"Prepare yourself! You are to become the voice of Interplanetary Parliament."

Apparently, the voice belonged to one of the 'Cosmic Masters of the Solar System' and George King became their 'Primary Terrestrial Mental Channel', bringing their message to Earth.

At this point I would like to include an except from the UFO study (soon to be posted on this site)...

Some people claim that by putting themselves into a hypnotic trance they are acting as a channelling device in which extra-terrestrial beings speak through them. The same general message permeates over 90% of the words received by millions of people over the world while they are channelling. The following is an actual example:

We come from the Interplanetary Configuration of solar systems, and our purpose is to aid our brother man on the earth as the new age dawns. The teacher that was known to you as Jesus was able to use many more of the abilities than the people of this planet. Unfortunately, man upon planet earth has misinterpreted the meaning of this mans life. He was no different than any of you; he was simply able to remember certain principles. These principles may be realised by any one of you at any time, it is only necessary that you avail yourself to our contact through meditation in order to begin to realise that which is rightfully yours, the truth of the creation and the truth of your position in it. Know ye not that ye are gods? We have been puzzled at times by the inability of the people in general of this planet to be awakened to this truth. We find the state of hypnoses, brought about by the evolution of thought by the people of this planet is so great, that it is necessary for him to maintain a constant awareness of his spiritual nature by meditation.


I might add that there are absolutely no reports of any alien ever proclaiming that Jesus is the only way to find salvation.

This is from the Aetherius site...

At this significant point in the history of mankind, the Cosmic Masters have chosen to release a new level of understanding and wisdom to those who are ready on Earth. This wisdom in no way invalidates or replaces the wisdom given to mankind in the past by the great teachers such as Shri Krishna, Lord Buddha and the Master Jesus. These beings and several more, were also Cosmic Masters from advanced worlds sent to Earth to help mankind in the best way possible when they came.


I always find it amusing how so many New Age religions claim that Jesus Christ is 'a way', when Jesus Christ Himself said that He was 'The Way' (John 14:6). There's a very big difference between 'a' and 'the'.

Anyway, back to the story... At the conclusion of the night the well-meaning reps asked if anyone had any questions. It was then that I stood up and asked them to explain what the Bible meant when it talked about end-time deception and doctrines of demons (I even read out the relevant verses). As you can imagine, it didn't go down too well. One of them said that it was easily explained in Revelation chapter 23 and asked me to turn there. Problem was, there is no Revelation chapter 23. And so the evening ended, much to the relief of the hosts, and I handed out the studies to the folk leaving the building ;-)

I sometimes think back to that time and wonder what on earth I was thinking. Did I do the right thing in my challenging confrontation? Did I exhibit the love of Jesus or push the people further away from Him? Would I do the same today? Lord, help me to be zealous... with knowledge.

To visit Wikipedia's page on UFO cults click here.

4 comments:

Rhys said...

Interesting post, so many deceptions out there, its amazing how jesus is used in basically all religions in a watered down form.

lesmondj said...

Wish I had a been their to see a crazy zealous Burton...sometimes I think knowledge is so over rated.

Jon Dylan said...

Haha, I'm with Les on that one! I'm sure we all have one or two rather embarrasing stories like that we have the pleasure of looking back and cringing on. Cool post all the same.

Anonymous said...

Good for you my man! At least they heard because you decided to go there.

May we all have that level of guts.... and wisdom to balance it.