The Goonies and the illusive Giant Octopus

In relation to a recent Facebook thread, I couldn't help but take 5 minutes out of my afternoon to write a quick post about the mysterious Goonies Octopus scene.

Back in the day (1985 to be precise), Goonies paraphernalia came out months before the release date here in NZ. The ever popular (at the time) Goonies Bubblegum Cards contained a couple of shots of the Giant Octopus scene. So, if you were anything like I was in '85 (and still am), I couldn't contain my excitement as I awaited the movie to start. The movie started and ended, there was no sign of the awesome giant octopus, I was gutted and it tarnished my view of the movie forever.

To rub salt in my wounds, at the film's conclusion, when Data (the same kid who was in Temple of Doom) is talking to the reporters, he says: "...Yeah, and the part with the octopus was really scary!"

I could have cried.

And now, thanks to the magic of Youtube, let me reveal to you, the deleted Giant Octopus scene in all it's glory. 29 years later all I have to say (once again) is... "Meh."

7 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

That made my day!!

Kate said...

Oh my goodness..I have never seen that before! Kinda happy it didn't make it to the actual movie..best thing about it is the tape recorder playing 80's music!

Carefui Kid said...

I'm seriously wanting to rent this movie tomorrow. YOu put me in the mood!

Side note: Have you ever seen Cyndi Lauper's music video she made for the Goonies? Coolest thing eeeever! I've watched it a trillion times...It's an epic 2- parter. And you'll be happy to know that the octopus makes a cameo in part 2 (well, a tentacle does, anyway!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMi9tvuuZY

Eeeeeepic.

Burton said...

Carefui Kid... are you sure you aren't just fooling everyone and are a decade older that you say you are?

Carefui Kid said...

What can I say, I'm an appreciator of antiquity.

Jon said...

I dunno, I think that body at the start of the scene looked pretty realistic.

Neen said...

mmmm....yep that octopus scene is best left as a deleted scene. Yikes.